The installation of the new Olojo of Ojo, in Ojo Local Government Area of Lagos State, Oba Galib Adeniyi Rufai, is now a subject of litigation before Justice Grace Emeya of a Lagos High Court sitting in Ikeja.This was sequel to a suit filed by one Prince Tajudeen Adewale Jimoh, in which he is challenging the propriety of the new traditional ruler ascending to the throne.Prince Jimoh, a contender to the throne, in his writ of summons, is praying for a declaration that under and by the virtue of the prevailing customary law in Ojo town, Lagos State, as codified by the amended declaration for Olojo which became operative only upon registration, it is the turn of the Ikemo Ruling House to produce and present candidate for ascension to the throne of Olojo of Ojo.Aside praying the court for a declaration that Oba Rufai is not a member of Ikemo Ruling House, Prince Jimoh who sued for himself and on behalf of Ikemo Ruling House, is also seeking a declaration that himself, having been nominated and /or selected by the Ikemo Ruling House; he is the rightful person to be installed as the Olojo of Ojo.While praying the court for a declaration that having regard to the amended Chieftaincy Declaration for Ojo Town, the Iloro Ruling House are not entitled to produce and present any candidate for ascension to the throne of Olojo of Ojo until after the turn of the Ikemo Ruling House, Prince Jimoh further prayed the court for an order of perpetual injunction restraining Oba Rufai from parading himself as the Olojo of Ojo Town.In the affidavit in support of his statement of claim, Prince Jimoh declared that Oba Rufai was not a member of the Ikemo Ruling House and that the monarch's appointment did not follow due process of law.Amongst others, Prince Jimoh averred that on March 1, 2011, Oba Rufai claimed to be a descendant of Ade Ife, a position he alleged that the monarch later changed.However, Oba Rufai, in one of his amended statements of defence said that at a family meeting held on June 27th , 2010 which was attended by 65 members of the ruling house, he was unanimously chosen as the candidate to be forwarded to the kingmakers for appointment as the Olojo of Ojo.He also said that in order to make up for the shortfall in the number of kingmakers who had earlier joined their ancestors; three obas were appointed as warrant kingmakers in their place.He gave the names of the appointees to include Oba Goriola Yushau Oseni (Oniba of Iba), Oba Momodu Afolabi Ashafa (Onijanikin of Ijanikin); and Oba Olanrewaju Aina (Oloto of Oto Awori).The monarch further revealed that his name was later forwarded by the kingmakers to the appropriate authority for appointment.He further contended that he is from the Ikemo Ruling House from Akinlodi branch, and that his father is the current head of the family of Ikemo Ruling House.Apart from Oba Rufai, other defendants in the suit included the Executive Governor of Lagos State, the state Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Matters, Chieftaincy Committee, Ojo Local Government and the Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice in Lagos State.Others are the Council of Obas and Chiefs in Lagos State, Chief Atiku Badmus, Alhaji Olorunfunmi and Prince Adeyemi Mufutau Ayilara. The matter has been adjourned till tomorrow May 2, for hearing.
Click here to read full news..